Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Gay Marriage

First I have a couple of confessions to make. I'm addicted to Perez Hilton.com yes i know how cheesy, but it gets me thru my work day. 2nd I'm what you can call a fag-hag, for lack of a better term. It seems that I always have one or two gay guy friends. Ever since I moved to San Antonio I attract gay guys like mosquitoes. But I love my friends no matter what. So in a way I have a little bit of insight on the subject I'm about to discuss.

Ill start with my friends since my first job as JC Penney I met Leo and we were instant friends. Practically attached at the hip. We still keep in touch but not as much now. We always had a blast together and I heard his stories of heartbreak and coming out and family etc. Its hard to see how much people can go thru just for being who they are.

I know some people believe being gay is a choice but I don't. Ur born that way. I also understand people from different religions have very strong views on the "gay marriage issue" I'm catholic and of course the catholic church is against all that. But I also believe your religion doesn't define you. I hate that people judge others based on religion. I think that is horrible. Its similar to the whole Muslim thing. I don't think everyone who practices this faith is a terrorist. I think that is very ignorant of people who think that way, but that's another day.

So of course if you even glance at Perez's page you'll see that he is an openly gay man & also that he is a strong advocate for gay marriage. As am I. There are several reasons why i feel this way.

One huge one, which is the basis for everything that i believe is that i don't ever think that the government should be able to tell me what i can & can't do, as long as I am not hurting anyone else. There should not be a law telling people what not to do. This kills me because I start getting all conspiracy theory and I think: What else will they try to keep me from doing. Okay I'm not gay and I also don't believe marriage is for me. But imagine its bizarre world, how would you feel if they told you straight marriage was illegal. Exactly.

Second marriage is not something I understand, and I won't pretend to. I've never been married and I don't plan on being married but I also believe that the love two people can have for each other whether gay or straight is something that should not be denied. I've seen people who don't like each other married. I've seen people who hurt each other physically and emotionally married. I've seen people who don't care about each other married. Why should these people be allowed to marry if they don't even love each other and yet we can deny true love from others just because they love differently than us.

I saw this video posted on Perez Hilton's site. The title was called "Don't Divorce My Dads" it literally made me cry. These couples seem so happy and in love. Something we take for granted as straight people has become a privilege for gays. Why can someone in prison get married yet lesbian woman cannot call her partner her wife, legally.

I posted a video from YouTube on here. I hope you'll have an open mind & heart when you see & read this. And if you already do, then know that your support means the world to many men and women in our country. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Amen sister!!! Haha, seriously, I completly agree w/you.
    Posting youtube vids is pretty easy. Remind me next time we chat or Twitter me. I am liking the new background :)

    ReplyDelete